Relieve Dry, Irritated Eyes with Soothing CBD Eye Drops
Dry eye syndrome is an incredibly common condition, affecting millions of people worldwide. Characterized by irritation, redness, blurry vision and a gritty feeling, dry eyes can severely impact daily life and comfort. While various over-the-counter artificial tear eye drops provide temporary relief, they often contain preservatives that can further irritate sensitive eyes. Recently, CBD eye drops have emerged as a promising natural solution for lubricating dry, tired eyes while calming inflammation at the source.
What Causes Dry Eyes in the First Place?
Tears are crucial for nourishing the ocular surface and keeping eyes hydrated. When tear production is inadequate, or tears evaporate too quickly, dry spots form on the eyes. This leads to irritation as the cornea and conjunctiva become inflamed. Common causes include:
- Age-related changes - Tear production may decrease with age.
- Medications - Antihistamines, decongestants, antidepressants, and others can reduce tear flow.
- Environmental factors - Dry air, wind, air conditioning, and screens strain eyes.
- Autoimmune disorders - Conditions like Sjogren's syndrome, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis are associated with dry eye.
- Chronic inflammation - Blepharitis and allergies cause eyelid and eye inflammation.
- Previous eye surgery - LASIK, cataract surgery, and other procedures can damage tear glands.
Dry eyes also create a vicious cycle - irritation leads to more inflammation, worsening symptoms. So it's important to address the root causes of dryness and inflammation for lasting relief.
How CBD Eye Drops Soothe Dry, Irritated Eyes
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found in cannabis plants. Applied topically via eye drops, CBD reduces dry eye discomfort in several ways:
- Lowering inflammation - CBD is a potent anti-inflammatory that can calm irritation when applied directly. This helps break the cycle of chronic eye inflammation.
- Reducing pain - CBD activates cannabinoid receptors involved in pain perception and relief. This alleviates the stinging, scratchy discomfort of dry eyes.
- Preventing nerve damage - By reducing inflammation, CBD protects delicate ocular nerve fibers from further damage.
- Increasing tear production - Research indicates CBD may stimulate greater tear fluid secretion from lacrimal glands.
- Fighting infection - CBD demonstrates natural antibacterial properties that prevent against harmful eye infections.
- Easing spasms - CBD relaxes the muscles around the eyelids, lowering any spasms aggravating dryness.
CBD is also rich in antioxidants and helps neutralize free radicals that can harm the eyes. Unlike THC, CBD is non-psychoactive and does not cause any "high."
Choosing the Best CBD Eye Drops
When selecting CBD eye drops, quality ingredients are key for safety and effectiveness. Here's what to look for:
- Sourced from organic hemp - This ensures no pesticides or toxins.
- CO2 extracted - CO2 extraction yields pure, potent CBD without solvents.
- Full-spectrum CBD - Contains CBD plus other beneficial cannabis compounds.
- No preservatives - Preservatives like benzalkonium chloride can irritate eyes.
- Nano-emulsified CBD - Nano-sized CBD particles optimize ocular absorption.
- 3rd party lab tested - Confirms the potency and purity of the CBD.
Use sterile eye droppers to apply 1-2 drops per eye, 2-4 times daily or as needed for relief. While tolerance is individualized, most find CBD eye drops provide soothing, lasting lubrication without side effects. Be sure to consult an eye doctor to identify the underlying cause of dryness as well. With its natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, CBD promises an effective addon treatment for chronically dry, scratchy eyes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How often can I use CBD eye drops?
A: CBD eye drops can be used 2-4 times daily or as needed for relief. It's best to start with 1-2 drops per eye 2 times a day and increase frequency/dosage if needed.
Q: How fast do CBD eye drops work?
A: Most people report reduced eye dryness, redness and irritation within 15-30 minutes of using CBD eye drops. The effects tend to last for several hours.
Q: Are there any side effects of CBD eye drops?
A: CBD eye drops are generally very well tolerated. Potential side effects are minor and uncommon, but may include brief stinging/burning, blurry vision or headaches. Reduce the dosage if any side effects occur.
Q: Can I use CBD eye drops with contacts or other eye medications?
A: Yes, CBD eye drops are safe to use with contact lenses and most other eye medications. However, check with your optometrist or ophthalmologist first regarding any potential interactions.
Q: Does CBD get you high when used as eye drops?
A: No, CBD is non-psychoactive and will not cause any intoxicating effects when used in eye drops. The small amount absorbed does not reach the brain.
Q: How are hemp-derived CBD eye drops legal?
A: CBD sourced from hemp containing less than 0.3% THC is legal on a federal level. Most CBD eye drops are hemp-derived. However, check your local laws before using CBD products.
Q: Can children use CBD eye drops?
A: CBD eye drops are not generally recommended for use in children, except under medical supervision. Discuss with your pediatrician or eye doctor first. Proper dosage for pediatric use has not been established.
Q: How can I get CBD eye drops prescribed to me?
A: Currently, CBD products are not prescribed by doctors. CBD eye drops are available over-the-counter without a prescription. You can discuss using them with your eye doctor, however.